I'm also beginning to think that there may be some general use cases for such a tool outside of upgrades specifically, such as if you might want to audit a new site that you're starting just to get a quick feel for what you're dealing with. Would love to hear your feedback on that!
Here's a screenshot of the tool.
You can actually log in, add your sites, and pull reports on them all separately. Some of the things that I'm checking for so far are:
- Core code modifications
- Base theme modifications
- Custom theme structure
- Modules with DRM issues
- Modules requiring an upgrade based upon the current version and the latest available version as reported by Magento Connect.
- Class rewrites - Total number as well as identified conflicts. (Big thanks to the MageRun team for an excellent base to build upon).
Database Maintenance ReportIn addition to that, I've also got a few database checks that I'm doing:
- Log cleaning
- Quote cleaning
Module ReportThen, I dive deeper into individual modules with a report on all of the 3rd party modules installed on the system:
- Modules that are already up to date with the latest stable version
- Modules requiring an upgrade
- Modules that we may not know enough about yet - probably because they are paid modules and not available in the Magento Connect service.
Feel free to sign up for the magento upgrade service if you'd like to begin using this tool.